Francis McKeownSenior Structures Advisor, National Highways
Francis is a C.Eng, MICE with many years of experience of highway structures, gained with local government, consultants, and National Highways.
A graduate of the University of Salford he began his career with Greater Manchester Council and then moved to work within the ‘Major Highways Consortium’ (MHC). The MHC undertook major schemes within Manchester Salford and Wigan. As major schemes were completed, he continued to work for Manchester City Council in the structures team completing projects on the Inner Relief Route, Manchester Central Convention centre and Mancunian Way.
He joined Capita Symonds in 2007, primarily to help manage Blackburn with Darwen’s stock of highway structures and works for other clients. He played a significant role in contributing to the design and assessment of structures on the extension of Manchester’s Metrolink.
In 2013 he joined National Highways and part of his role has been responsibility for inspection and assessment guidance.
My Speaker Sessions
Wednesday 13 March 2024
Bridge Inspections: Data and Assurance
- The importance of inspections:
- Data driven agile asset management
- Prolonging the service life and safety of bridges
- Sustainability-oriented maintenance management
- An update on the ongoing project to revise the current Bridge Inspection Manual:
- Recent changes in focus on inspections and asset data
- Use of technology for inspections and delivering consistency