Raed El SarrafTechnical Principal - Asset Integrity Management, WSP New Zealand
Raed has over 20 years’ experience relating to the corrosion protection and asset integrity management of steel structures, specialising in bridges. Over the years he published a number of design guidance, technical papers and articles, relating to the management and corrosion prevention of bridges.
His current interests are related to the digitalisation of bridge asset management systems, extending the life of steel bridges and realising the sustainability potential of steel structures.
My Speaker Sessions
Wednesday 13 March 2024
Keynote 3: Extreme Weather Events and the New Normal – the New Zealand Experience from Cyclone Gabrielle
- On 12 February 2023, Cyclone Gabrielle reached New Zealand and over the following two days caused widespread damage especially on the East Coast of the North Island.
- Heavy rain and winds caused major flooding, land slips, damaged homes, over 10,000 displaced and some NZ$2B in damage.
- This presentation will focus on the damage to both the Waka Kotahi New Zealand Transport Agency and Local Authorities bridge network, highlighting the scale of the damage, the response in the days/weeks that followed, an overview of risk and resilience, and the efforts to reconnect communities.
Thursday 14 March 2024
Incorporating the Digital into Bridge Asset Management
- The transition from paper based bridge asset management to Excel was considered to be a major breakthrough, when it occurred over 30 years ago.
- With developments in computing power, digital twins and artificial intelligence, we should be in a utopia of digital asset management.
- Unfortunately there are still horror stories of millions being wasted on clunky digital “solutions” are still occurring.
- This workshop session will present an overview of the opportunities and challenges relating to the implementation of a digital bridge asset management system, asset owners experiences, introducing digital twin maturity levels, and examples of successful development and implementations of fit for purpose solutions using proprietary software packages.
- The workshop will also have breakout sessions for the attendees to discuss and consider the different topics, with the aim to better understand the benefits of incorporating digital solutions within a bridge asset management context.